Applying the Principles of Nutrition to a Physical Activity
YMCA Awards Certificate in Applying the Principles of Nutrition to a Physical Activity Programmes, Level 3
The Certificate in Nutrition for Physical Activity is the second of the two course modules that make up the new YMCA Awards Certificate in Personal Training. It can also be taken as a stand-alone qualification.
The course covers nutrients, energy systems, measuring and eating for energy and the physiology and psychology of dieting. It also covers the principles of healthy eating and weight management in relation to exercise, sports and well-being and will enable the Personal Trainer to give advice on and plan for effective long-term fat/weight loss, based on sound scientific principles.
This course is designed for:
- Instructors who are seeking to work towards the YMCA Awards Certificate in Personal Training Advanced Fitness Instructors who wish to up skill to Personal Trainer status
- Those who wish to provide appropriate nutritional advice for a variety of client needs Gym or Group Exercise (Studio) Instructors or Fitness Supervisors who are seeking to enhance their qualifications
Candidates must be aged 18 or over and must already hold:
- Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instruction or equivalent
Please note: if applying for the full Certificate in Personal Training, candidates must hold a Level 2 Certificate in Gym Instruction
- If applying for the Conversion to Personal Trainer status award, candidates must hold a Level 3 Certificate in Advanced Fitness Instruction
The Online course covers the theoretical elements of the following subjects:
- The principles of nutrition
- Key guidelines in relation to nutrition
- Giving nutritional advice
- The relationship between nutrition and physical activity
- How to collect nutritional information
- Nutritional goal setting with clients
- Collecting and analysing nutritional information
- Applying the principles of nutrition to a physical activity programme
The theory is studied online, students are allowed 215 days to complete the online study. The nutrition online study is part of the Level 3 Personal Trainer Qualification and needs to be completed before the Personal Trainer practical dates.
Assessment of qualification is conducted at the YMCA in Cambridge and is in two parts:
- Multiple choice theory paper
- Live Case Study – as part of the personal training course